Starke in Bradford County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Woman's Club of Starke
The Woman’s Club of Starke, formerly known as the Mother’s Club, was founded in the late 19th century and held its meetings in the Bradford County High School. Their purpose was to assist the Bradford County High School. Only mothers were accepted as active members with teachers as honorary members. One of their earliest projects was furnishing a room in the school or a library and a study for the principal. They also provided students with books and clothing and hired a janitor to do maintenance. In 1913, the Mother’s Club reorganized and changed its name to the Woman’s Club of Starke. One year later, after the school moved to a different site, the Woman’s Club began using the school building as its headquarters. In 1917, with the approach of World War I, the building was turned over to the Red Cross. Club women made hospital blankets, Christmas kits for troops and shipped clothing to allies. In 1921, the Board of Education gave the school building to the Woman’s Club, at which time it was remodeled. Some of the lumber from the
original structure was used in the new construction. The new craftsman/bungalow
Erected 2001 by The Little Woman's Club of Starke and The Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-431.)
Location. 29° 56.709′ N, 82° 6.569′ W. Marker is in Starke, Florida, in Bradford County. Marker is on North Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south. Located between Jackson and Jefferson Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 N Walnut Street, Starke FL 32091, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain Richard C. Bradford (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Blanding (approx. 7.9 miles away); Magnolia Lake State Park (approx. 11.1 miles away); Waldo (approx. 11.3 miles away); Dickison and His Men / Jefferson Davis' Baggage (approx. 11.3 miles away); For All Who Served (approx. 11.4 miles away); The Bellamy Road (approx. 15.7 miles away).
Regarding Woman's Club of Starke. National Register of Historic Places:
Woman's Club of Starke (added 1997 - Building - #97000350)
201 N. Walnut St., Starke
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
♦Architect, builder, or engineer: Bell, C.W.S., McKay,George W.
♦Architectural Style: Bungalow/Craftsman
♦Area of Significance: Architecture, Social History
♦Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,173 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.