Lindale in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bethesda Presbyterian Church and Cemetery
At the Henderson's request the East Texas Presbytery officially recognized the new congregation as the Lindale Presbyterian Church in March 1881. Its name was changed to Bethesda in 1885, for a church the Hendersons had established in Perry County, Alabama.
William's son, Franklin Smith Henderson, was buried here on family land in 1881. Other interments near Franklin's grave site, including that of his father William in 1883, formed the nucleus of this cemetery, which from its beginning has been a community burial place. A cemetery association was organized in 1905.
Among those buried here are the veterans of the Civil War, World War I, and World War II.
The congregation erected a new sanctuary at this site in 1895 which was enlarged in 1959. Descendants of the original Henderson Family and of other area pioneers buried in the cemetery have gathered here each summer for many decades for a reunion and other religious and social activities.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7706.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 32.85′ N, 95° 21.616′ W. Marker is in Lindale, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 2710 and County Route 4126, on the left on Route 2710. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lindale TX 75771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sabine Methodist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Damascus Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Whisenhunt-Kinzie House (approx. 3.7 miles away); Duck Creek Soil Erosion Project (approx. 5.7 miles away); Site of Flora (approx. 5.9 miles away); Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 6.1 miles away); Milburn-Gary House (approx. 6.2 miles away); Hopewell Baptist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lindale.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2010, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 803 times since then and 46 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 22, 2010, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?