Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Old North Point Water Tower
This 175 foot Victorian Gothic Tower, designed by Charles A. Gombert and made of cut Niagara limestone from Wauwatosa, houses a circular wrought iron standpipe 120 feet high and four feet in diameter. Until construction of a new pumping station in 1963 the standpipe water absorbed pulsations of reciprocating steam-driven engines, and the tower prevented ice forming in the standpipe during cold weather.
Erected 1973 by Milwaukee Water Works and Milwaukee County Historical Society. (Marker Number 201.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Man-Made Features. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2311 East North Avenue, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint John's Infirmary (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Mary's School of Nursing (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Villa Terrace (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milwaukee River Flushing Pump (approx. 0.6 miles away); North Point Light Station (approx. 0.6 miles away); North Point Lighthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles Allis House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Civil War Camp (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 2,471 times since then and 129 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.