St. Marys in Pottawatomie County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Potawatomi Pay Station & St. Marys Mission
By the mid-1700s a clash of native philosophy and historical events forged the destiny of the Potawatomi. Native peoples believed the land belonged to all living creatures, both man and beast, there was no land ownership. This was the direct opposite of the U.S. Government's laws of property rights and landownership. The U.S. Government created official tribal boundaries, and then through a series of "cession treaties" purchased the tribal lands for white settlement and/or entrepreneurial activities.
Once the struggle for control of the North American continent began, Native tribes joined forces with their friends the French during the
In 1830 the Federal Government passed the Indian Removal Act that required the sale of all Native American lands and the emigration of Native tribes from all the states east of the Mississippi River in exchange for land in the segregated, exclusively Indian, territories of Kansas and Oklahoma. The U.S. Government then proceeded to move the Native tribes located east of the Mississippi River west to the reservations.
The new tribal lands or reservations were supervised by religious denominations that provided schooling, training in farming practices, health care and religious conversion. Historically, a variety of organized religious denominations had conducted missionary activities with many Native American tribes. The Catholic Church's missionary activities among the Potawatomi began in the 1600's with the work of French Jesuit missionaries in Michigan, and their missionary activities continued here at St. Marys.
St. Marys was founded in 1848 as "St. Marys Catholic Mission to the Pottawatomie" and served as the headquarters
Father Verrydt wrote: "The Kansas River flows through very fertile land, generally covered with large timber, oak and walnut trees, also sycamore, locust, elm, and cottonwood. Unfortunately, there are no sugar trees, which greatly disappointed the Indians. We used a great deal of timber for our church, buildings, and fences. As to the prairie, it is the best grazing place in the west."
In 1850 Dr. John F. Snyder wrote: "after leaving the Kansas [River] ten miles, we arrived at the 'Pottawattamie Mission,' establ. [sic] here by the catholics [St. Marys]...it is a very neat looking place, consisting of three, or four two story log houses belonging to the church, and about twenty small log huts. The Indians here have large farms, and seem to be very industrious."
The Potawatomi Indian Agency was established at the St. Marys Mission in 1848. The U.S. Government constructed a one-story, two-room stone building which became known as the Indian Pay
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Potawatomi Trail of Death series list.
Location. 39° 11.667′ N, 96° 4.3′ W. Marker is in St. Marys, Kansas, in Pottawatomie County. Marker is on West Bertrand Avenue (U.S. 24) west of North 6th Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located in a small city park between 6th and 7th Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys KS 66536, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Fire and Curfew Bell (a few steps from this marker); St. Marys Vietnam Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Indian Pay Station Museum (approx. half a mile away); Site of the Oregon Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Marys (approx. 0.7 miles The Great Military Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Vieux Crossing (approx. 7.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 7˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Marys.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,363 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 5, 6. submitted on November 26, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.