Independence in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Jackson County Marshal's House and Jail Museum
Built in 1859, these buildings served as United States Provost Marshal's headquarters during the Civil War. Frank James, outlaw, and William C. Quantrill, border war guerrilla, were jailed here. In use until 1933.
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial Commission of Independence.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 39° 5.605′ N, 94° 24.934′ W. Marker is in Independence, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker is on Main Street near Truman Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 North Main Street, Independence MO 64050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fire Station No. 1 (a few steps from this marker); Twyman Hotel - Kenton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Battle of Independence (within shouting distance of this marker); Truman's First Job (within shouting distance of this marker); Clinton's Drugstore Jackson County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Harry S. Truman (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,004 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.