New Haven in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Named New Haven
The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them.
O God of Hosts look down from heaven and behold and visit this vine.
A.D. 1638 A company of English Christians led by John Davenport and Theophilus Eaton were the founders of this city.
Here their earliest house of worship was built A.D. 1639
The First Church beginning with worship in the open air Apr. 15, [o.s.] 1638 was the beginning of New Haven and was organized Aug. 22, [o.s.] 1639.
This house was dedicated to the worship of God in Christ Dec. 27, 1814.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era.
Location. 41° 18.469′ N, 72° 55.585′ W. Marker is in New Haven, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is on Temple Street 0.1 miles south of Elm Street, on the right when traveling south. Located above the entrance of the Center Church On The Green. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Meeting House (a few steps from this marker); New Haven Common Burial Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephen Goodyear (within shouting distance of this marker); Theophilus Eaton (within shouting distance of this marker); Col William Goffe (within shouting distance of this marker); Col Edward Whalley (within shouting distance of this marker); New Haven Memorial Flagpole (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Renovation of the New Haven Green (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Haven.
Regarding Quinnipiack. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Center Church is "The Crypt, " an ancient cemetery with gravestones from 1687 to 1812, under the church. In 1813, Center Church was built over a small portion of the town's burial ground. All the remains and gravestones were left in their original positions to be protected by the church's foundation where a crypt was created. The Crypt contains the identified remains of about 137 people, and the likely remains of over 1,000 that are unidentified. Guided tours of the Church are available.
Also see . . . The First Church of Christ in New Haven, Center Church on-the-Green (Submitted on August 24, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.