Tahoe City in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Pioneer Tourism, 1896 to 1926
Tourists Come to Lake Tahoe
In 1900, Duane I. Bliss, switched from mining and lumbering interests to tourism. He built a narrow gage train line that carried tourists and freight from Truckee to Tahoe City.
The train ended on a long wharf, where you could hop on the Bliss-owned steamer Tahoe. After a beautiful day-trip around the lake, you could spend the night at his elegant Tahoe Tavern Resort just ¼ mile south of Tahoe City.
Tahoe City was becoming a seasonal destination resort.
Clarence and Katherine Atherton – Developed first grocery store Walter S. Bickford – First lumber company and flush toilet Charles Tobey “Bud” Bliss – Managed Tahoe Tavern Resort Duane L. Bliss – Owner of steamer Tahoe and Tahoe Tavern Resort
Erected 2008 by Rotory Club of Tahoe City.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 39° 10.292′ N, 120° 8.4′ W. Marker is in Tahoe City, California, in Placer County. Marker can be reached from North Lake Boulevard (State Highway 26), on the right when traveling east. Marker is located at Heritage Plaza next to the Watson Cabin Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 560 North Lake Boulevard, Tahoe City CA 96145, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tahoe City Begins, 1860 to 1895 (here, next to this marker); Southern Pacific, 1926 to 1945 (here, next to this marker); Post War, 1946 to 1955 (here, next to this marker); Olympic Silver, 1956 to 1971Early Tahoe City (a few steps from this marker); Tahoe City (a few steps from this marker); Tahoe Citys “Big Tree” (a few steps from this marker); The Watson Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tahoe City.
Regarding Pioneer Tourism, 1896 to 1926. The Truckee Donner Railroad Society writes:
“Driven by increasing tourism in the area, the Lake Tahoe Railway and Transportation Company incorporated in December 1898, and first opened May 1, 1900. Much of the rail and motive power was acquired from the abandoned Lake Tahoe Railroad, G. W. Chubbuck railroad, and Lake Valley Railroad. Initially it was a narrow gauge line, running from the Central Pacific Railroad station in downtown Truckee up the Truckee River to the shores of Lake Tahoe in Tahoe City. The trip ended on a wharf where it met up with steamships that traveled to tourist destinations around Lake Tahoe. It was operated in the tourist season from May 15th to November 15th.
In 1925 the line was leased to Southern Pacific, and converted to standard gauge on May 1, 1926. This allowed round trips to
By World War II, the advancement of roads and automobile traffic doomed the short line. It was abandoned November 10, 1943."
Additional keywords. Tourism
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,179 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 4, 5. submitted on August 27, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.