Buras-Triumph in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Built 1822-32 to protect the lower river. Named for Andrew Jackson. 1862 - Fort withstood 10-day siege by Farragut and surrendered after city fell. In 1898 and 1917-18 used as training base. 1961 - Fort was declared a national monument.
Erected 1963 by Louisiana Department of Commerce and Industry.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 29° 21.133′ N, 89° 27.412′ W. Marker is in Buras-Triumph, Louisiana, in Plaquemines Parish. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 23 and Herbert Harvey Road, in the median on State Highway 23. Fort Jackson is approximately 70 miles southeast of New Orleans and 40 miles upriver from the Gulf of Mexico. It is on the west bank of the Mississippi River, opposite Fort St. Philip, and it is midway between the communities of Buras-Triumph and Boothville-Venice. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Buras LA 70041, United States of America. Touch for directions.
More about this marker. The fort is presently (August 2010) closed due to on-going restoration following the destructive affects of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
Also see . . .
1. "Battle of Forts Jackson and St. Philip". (Submitted on August 30, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Fort Jackson, Louisiana. ... The fort has been owned by Plaquemines Parish since 1962. In the 1960s, Leander Perez threatened to turn it into a prison for any hippies and advocates of desegregation who entered the Parish. ... (Submitted on August 30, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Battle of New Orleans (1862); Fort St. Philip; U.S. Navy; National Historic Landmark (1960).
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,909 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 30, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on January 14, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A clear close-up photo of the marker. • A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?