West Freemason in Norfolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
USS Norfolk Bell
The second USS Norfolk, Destroyer Leader I, was a submarine "hunter-killer" ship and was the first major warship built after World War II. She was financed by proceeds from a war bond campaign by the City of Norfolk. her keel was laid at Camden, New Jersey on 1 September 1949. She was launched on 29 December 1951 and commissioned 4 March 1953. She was assigned to the Atlantic Fleet and later (1968) to the Commander Middle East Forces as a flagship. She was decommissioned on 15 January 1970 and scrapped in the early 1970s.
The bell from the USS Norfolk was displayed on the downtown waterfront esplanade until being put into storage in 1987. On 4 March 2003, exactly 50 years after the USS Norfolk was commissioned at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, the bell was unveiled in its current location with 25 of the ship's original crew members in attendance.
Erected by City of Norfolk.
Topics. This historical marker is listed Military • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 36° 50.929′ N, 76° 17.67′ W. Marker is in West Freemason in Norfolk, Virginia. Marker is on Bousch Street near Wisconsin Square, foot of Harbour St.. right side of Battle Ship Wisconsin at walking trail leading to the Chinese Pagodas, Restaurant and gardens. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. USS Forrestal CVA/CV/AVT-59 (a few steps from this marker); USS Liberty AGTR-5 (a few steps from this marker); USS Scorpion (SSN-589) (a few steps from this marker); USS Nimitz (CVN-68) (a few steps from this marker); USS Cole (DDG 67) (a few steps from this marker); USS Belknap (CG 26) (a few steps from this marker); USS Iowa (BB-61) (a few steps from this marker); The Lone Sailor (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Freemason.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 568 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.