Springfield in Greene County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
This marker commemorates one of the most daring and brilliant cavalry charges of the Civil War. Late at night, Oct. 24, 1861, Maj. Charles Zagonyi, commander of Fremont's body guard, with 300 men, including 130 of Maj. White's Prairie Scouts, left Fremont's camp near Bolivar to attack a Confederate force at Springfield. On the 25th, they detoured about a mile west of the present Frisco Station to effect a surprise from the west. The Confederates, probably 1500, encamped on the hill and in this valley, were warned and ready; But Zagonyi, dividing his forces, repeatedly charged until the enemy retreated to the east and south. Zagonyi reorganized the remnant of his force on the public square and provided care for the wounded before leaving to rejoin Fremont's command. On this stream, 12. M.S.W. was fought the battle of Wilson Creek, where Gen. Lyon was killed.
Erected 1931 by University Club of Springfield, Missouri. (Marker Number XVII.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 37° 12.255′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1724 Mount Vernon Street, Springfield MO 65802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First School-House in Greene County (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Cabin in Springfield (approx. 0.6 miles away); Red's Giant Hamburg (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Springfield (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Springfield (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Springfield (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Springfield (approx. 1.1 miles away); Yellow Bonnet Girl (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Also see . . . Zagonyi's Charge. Page from the Springfield Library discussing the marker and historical background. (Submitted on September 2, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,250 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on April 1, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 4. submitted on September 2, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.