Near Republic in Greene County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Queen City of the Ozarks, settled in 1830 by Tennessee pioneers on what had been a Kickapoo, Osage, and Delaware Indian camping ground. Springfield was first called Campbell and Fulbright Springs after its first settlers. Rivalry over location of the railroad in 1870 led to founding of North Springfield. the two towns were joined in 1887.
Through here came Cherokee Indians on their "Trail of Tears" removal to Oklahoma, 1837. In 1858 the first westbound Butterfield Overland Mail coach stopped at its station here. It is of interest that Springfield was the home of Missouri Governor John S. Phelps.
Here were established Drury College, 1873, on campus is Shepard Museum; Southwest Mo. State College, 1906; Central Bible Institute, 1922; and Baptist Bible College, 1950. The U.S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners is here.
Near Ash Grove, 21 miles northwest, is the Greene County home of Nathan Boone, noted surveyor, legislator, soldier and son of Daniel Boone. Nathan came here with his family in mid-1830's. On farm are graves of Nathan and his wife, Olive van Bibber Boone.
The Confederates left Springfield at the approach of the Federals under General S.R. Curtis, Feb. 1862. For the duration of the war Springfield was under Union control. In Jan. 1863 a Confederate attack under General John S. Marmaduke was repulsed with help of a "Quinine Brigade" of convalescent soldiers. "Wild Bill" Hickock served as a Union scout here.
On a 1300-foot Ozark plateau, Springfield, county seat of Greene Co., is an industrial, rail, and dairy center. One of many historic markers in the area identifies Fort Ancient, the work of early mound builders. Also of interest are Wilson's Creek Battlefield, now a memorial park; the National Cemetery; and the City Art Museum.
Erected 1953 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Missouri, The State Historical Society of series list.
Location. 37° 8.71′ N, 93° 25.852′ W. Marker is near Republic, Missouri, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 60 and State Highway M, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 60. Located in Sanford Roadside Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Republic MO 65738, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Battle of Oak Hills (approx. 1.8 miles away); Missouri State Guard (approx. 1.9 miles away); Way to the Mill (approx. 2.4 miles away); Battle's Beginning ... and End (approx. 2.4 miles away); Signs From The Past (approx. 2˝ miles away); Gibson's Mill (approx. 2˝ miles away); Gibson's House Site (approx. 2.6 miles away); Gibson's Mill Site (approx. 2.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 877 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.