Prairie Grove in Washington County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The tower is 55 feet high and weighs 200,000 pounds. It is 8 feet square at the base and tapers to 4 by 4 feet at the top. It contains 700 stones. The chimney was taken down at Rhea's and reerected here as a memorial to the men who fought on this field December 7, 1862. The tower was given to Battlefield Park in 1957 by Mr. and Mrs. G.C. Mennecke.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 35° 59.006′ N, 94° 18.603′ W. Marker is in Prairie Grove, Arkansas, in Washington County. Marker is on East Douglas Street (U.S. 62), on the right when traveling west. Located near the entrance to Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Prairie Grove AR 72753, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Generals James G. Blunt and Francis J. Herron Major General Thomas C. Hindman (here, next to this marker); Battlefield Park (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Prairie Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Wall (within shouting distance of this marker); March of the Armies (within shouting distance of this marker); Blunt's Attack (within shouting distance of this marker); Morrow House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prairie Grove.
Also see . . . Prairie Grove Battlefield Park. (Submitted on September 4, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,151 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 4, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.