East Haven in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
This area, purchased by the Reverend John Davenport and Theophilus Eaton in 1638, was later known as East Farms. It was obtained from Indian sachems Momaugin and Mantowese. In 1639 Thomas Gregson, the first landowner, purchased Solitary Cove, later called Morris Cove. The first Connecticut ironworks was located in 1655 by Lake Saltonstall, formerly named Lonotononket, then Furnace Pond. East Farms became known as Iron Works Village, the third iron industry in the New England colonies.
Jacob Heminway, the original Yale student, served as the first pastor (1704-1754) of the Congregational Church. In 1774 the Old Stone Church was erected; its first minister was Nicholas Street.
This area was invaded in 1779 by British General William Tryon. During the Revolutionary War, Lafayette encamped on the green, revisiting it in 1824.
In 1881 Fair Haven, Granniss Corners, and Morris Cove were ceded to New Haven. The Roosevelt Turkey Oak, a gift from President Theodore Roosevelt, was planted on the green in 1908.
The initial town meeting (1785) named Isaac Chidsey First Selectman. The town became a city during
Erected 1976 by the East Haven Historical Society and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #26 Theodore Roosevelt series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1638.
Location. 41° 16.651′ N, 72° 52.267′ W. Marker is in East Haven, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 100) and Chidsey Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Located next to East Haven Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 250 Main Street, East Haven CT 06512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Stone Meeting House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bronze Bell (about 500 feet away); East Haven Charter Day (about 500 feet away); East Haven World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); East Haven World War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); East Haven Veterans Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); East Haven Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Theodore Roosevelt Oak (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Haven.
Also see . . .
1. Town of East Haven. (Submitted on September 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. East Haven, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 821 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.