North Branford in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
This region was opened for settlement in the 1690's as the Third Division of the Town of Branford, originally called by the Indian name Totoket. The North or Second Ecclesiastical Society (1725) and the Third Society (1745), later named Northford, were incorporated in 1831 as the Town of North Branford. Early ministers Jonathan Merick, Samuel Eells and Warham Williams, graduates of Yale College, provided leadership and encouraged education. Colonel William Douglas served under General Washington during the Revolution and, dying in May, 1777, was buried at Northford. North Branford was noted for its thriving farms and mills, producing wheat and silk in the 18th century. In the 19th century, common pins, horseshoe nails, desiccated cocoanut, greeting cards, and tinware were manufactured. Trap rock has been quarried here since 1914. In 1933 Lake Gaillard reservoir was constructed. North Branford was designated in 1971 an All American City for its citizens' public spirit.
Erected by the Town of North Branford
the Totoket Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1777.
Location. 41° 19.904′ N, 72° 47.632′ W. Marker is in North Branford, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Foxon Road (Connecticut Route 80) and Forest Road (Connecticut Route 22), on the left when traveling west on Foxon Road. Located in front of North Branford Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 909 Foxon Road, North Branford CT 06471, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. North Branford Vietnam Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); North Branford World War II Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); North Branford World War II Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); North Branford World War I Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); North Branford Soldiers Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); Branford Veterans Memorial (approx. 3˝ miles away); Branford (approx. 3.6 miles away); Branford Soldiers Monument (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North Branford.
Also see . . .
1. Town of North Branford . (Submitted on September 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. North Branford, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 759 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.