Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berea in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lyceum Square

 
 
Lyceum Square Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
1. Lyceum Square Marker
Inscription.  On this site the Lyceum Village and the Berea Seminary were established in 1837 by John Baldwin, Jame Giruth, Henry O. Sheldon, and Josiah Holbrook. Their vision was to create the first in a connected series of Lyceum Villages. The Villages were designed especially to assist in the education of teachers, promote “scientific” exchanges over the world and thus encourage the study of the works and word of God, and cultivate the spirit of “peace on earth and good will to men.” The community, however, declined and in 1842, John Baldwin assumed the indebtedness of $15,000. James Wallace acquired the area. It was owned by the Methodist Children’s Home in the 1860’s and then sold to German Wallace College in 1866, becoming the original German Wallace College Campus.
 
Erected 2001 by Baldwin-Wallace College, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 23-18.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RREducation.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 41° 22.078′ N, 81° 51.088′ W. Marker is in Berea, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on Seminary Street, ¼ mile north of Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berea OH 44017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Congregational United Church of Christ of Berea (a few steps from this marker); The Berea Triangle (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The “Big Quarry” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Berea Sandstone Quarries (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ogilvy Chapel of St. Thomas Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Adams Street Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Baldwin University (approx. 0.4 miles away); Berea District Seven School (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berea.
 
Regarding Lyceum Square. The Methodist Children’s Home still exist and is the subject of another historic marker.
 
Baldwin - Wallace College, Memorial Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
2. Baldwin - Wallace College, Memorial Building
Memorial Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
3. Memorial Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,223 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3538

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024