Near Albany in Green County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
"English Settlement" Cemetery
Area families built the non-denominational Allen Creek Union Church on this site in 1886, also donating land for this cemetery. Following Welsh tradition, a small lane ran through the cemetery and was called the "Devil's Highway," which brought fear to generations of local children.
Erected 2007 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 517.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany WI 53502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Church (here, next to this marker); CCC Veterans Memorial Bridge (approx. 6.3 miles away); Lake Montesian (approx. 9.7 miles away); Nickolaus Gerber (approx. 9.7 miles away); Early Belleville / Library Park (approx. 10.3 miles away); Village of Cooksville / Village of Waucoma (approx. 10.9 miles away); St. Raphael's Frenchtown Cemetery (approx. 11.7 miles away); Lake Harriet School (approx. 13.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Welsh National Gymanfa Ganu Association. (Submitted on September 10, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 854 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.