Logansport in Cass County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wabash & Erie Canal
Erected 1966 by Indiana Sesquicentennial Commission. (Marker Number 09.1966.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers, and the Wabash & Erie Canal series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 45.317′ N, 86° 21.894′ W. Marker was in Logansport, Indiana, in Cass County. Marker was at the intersection of North 5th Street and North Street, on the left when traveling north on North 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Logansport IN 46947, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 14 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Early Masonic Temple (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct W. W. I War Memorial - Cass County Indiana (about 700 feet away); Potawatomi Encampment (approx. 0.7 miles away); Trail of Death (approx. 9.9 miles away); Sycamore Row (approx. 10˝ miles away); Camden / Jackson Township (approx. 13.7 miles away).
Regarding Wabash & Erie Canal. Courtesy of the Indiana Historical Bureau::
""Report (Prepared by the Indiana Historical Bureau 2010)
The first sentence of the marker is correct. The Wabash and Erie Canal was a trade route that linked Lake Erie to Evansville. According to Ralph D. Gray’s essay “The Canal Era in Indiana” from Transportation and the Early Nation, county populations bordering the canal grew from 12,000 before the canal in 1835, to 60,000 in 1845, to 150,000 in 1855. However, the marker’s second sentence is slightly incorrect. A search of the Logansport newspapers revealed that the canal was opened to that city’s traffic in 1839, not 1840.
An exact date for the canal’s completion through Logansport could not be determined because IHB staff was not able to locate several issues of the Logansport Herald or the Logansport Telegraph for April and most of May, 1839. However, the Telegraph of March 23, 1839 reported, “The
Logansport Weekly Journal on May 3, 1873 there was a wooden aqueduct. The marker states that the canal was abandoned “about 1876,” and while this statement is acceptable because of the qualifying “about,” the correct date is probably 1875. Several county histories as well as the 1878 Combination Atlas Map of Cass County disagree, and give 1875 as the abandonment date. Newspaper accounts reveal that in 1873 the Cass County Commissioners, under public pressure, appropriated $5,000 to provide for repair of the canal. It is evident from these articles that the canal was not in good shape. In May, 1875, the Logansport Weekly Journal reported that “The ‘Iceberg’…arrived last Monday, being the first canal boat of the season.” In the Weekly Journal’s year-end recap of local happenings for 1875 it noted, “May 3. The canal boat Iceberg…was
Also see . . .
1. "Wabash & Erie Canal Park" - Delphi, Indiana::. This organization has the greatest concentration and most of the known remains of the Wabash & Erie Canal in Indiana. The many links on this web site are very interesting and fun to work with. (Submitted on September 7, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
2. "The men who dug the Canal" ::. A light and lively song with many old photos of canal builders in the process of digging a canal. (Submitted on September 7, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
3. "Angel of the Canal" ::. Many fell ill digging canals. In frontier days there were few doctors and medicine was scarce. In the Brecksville, Ohio area Mrs. Johnson became known as the "Angel of the Canal" for her care of the ill. (Submitted on September 7, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,378 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 7, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.