Near Delphi in Carroll County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Carrollton on the Wabash
90 lots platted in 1836 on both sides of Wabash - Erie Canal lock.
Erected 1971 by Carroll County Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Wabash & Erie Canal series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 40° 38.964′ N, 86° 39.44′ W. Marker is near Delphi, Indiana, in Carroll County. Marker is on County Road N 700 W north of County Road W 675 N, on the right when traveling north. Located on the North bank of the Wabash River - on the East side of the road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delphi IN 46923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Carrollton Bridge (here, next to this marker); Mentzer Tavern (here, next to this marker); The Wabash & Erie Canal (a few steps from this marker); Trail of Death (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site of Cabin Home Gen. Samuel Milroy (approx. 3.8 miles away); Samuel Milroy (approx. 3.8 miles away); Loom House Weaver (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Paper Maker's Shop (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delphi.
Also see . . .
1. "Wabash & Erie Canal Park" - Delphi, Indiana::. This organization has the greatest concentration and most of the known remains of the Wabash & Erie Canal in Indiana. The many links on this web site are very interesting and fun to work with. (Submitted on September 7, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
2. "The men who dug the Canal" ::. A light and lively song with many old photos of canal builders in the process of digging a canal. (Submitted on September 7, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
3. "Angel of the Canal" ::. Many fell ill digging canals. In frontier days there were few doctors and medicine was scarce. In the Brecksville, Ohio area Mrs. Johnson became known as the (Submitted on September 7, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 7, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.