Northport in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Northport First United Methodist Church
The bell of this church sounded the tocsin at the approach of Gen. John T. Croxton’s Union troops in their raid on Tuscaloosa, April 3, 1865.
Erected 1971 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 3, 1862.
Location. 33° 13.248′ N, 87° 34.758′ W. Marker is in Northport, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker is on Main Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 Main Avenue, Northport AL 35476, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shirley Place (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Northport Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); Home Guard Defended Covered Bridge / Bridging The Black Warrior River (approx. half a mile away); Wilson-Clements House Horace King (approx. 0.6 miles away); Captain Benjamin F. Eddins (approx. 0.6 miles away); Medeiros Point (approx. 0.6 miles away); Burns’ Shoals (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northport.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,034 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.