West Jordan in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Utah Idaho Sugar Factory
West Jordan, Utah 1916-1970
In Orras, France, they carefully examined the sugar beet industry, and convinced of its possibilities, raised funds in England and purchased equipment in Liverpool, England. Early in 1852 the equipment was shipped to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Then it was placed on 40 sturdy Santa Fe wagons; each drawn by 4 to 8 oxen. This private enterprise faced monumental setbacks and many wagons were replaced before they reached Provo, Utah one year later.
Due to insufficient funds, ownership of the property was transferred to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who set up a “pilot plant” on the northeast corner of the
The vision was not dead, however. Arthur Stayner examined the industry in California and with 20 stockholders, he organized the Utah Sugar Company of Lehi, Utah, August 30, 1889. The original principals involved were: Elias Morris, President; Franci Armstrong, Vice President; James Jack, Treasurer; Arthur Staymer, Secretary and General Manager, and James H. Gardner, Sugar Boiler.
This venture was successful and provided the incentive for other factories in Utah and Idaho, including the large U & I Plant at West Jordan, which became the model of productivity, research, and cooperation between farmers, producers, and consumers for 55 years. Great economic growth was derived from the millions of dollars dispersed throughout Utah and Idaho from research and the manufacturing of sugars and syrups.
Over 13,163,157 one-hundred pound sacks of sugar were produced from over 4,910,869 tons of sugar beets. The West Jordan
Erected 1986 by Sons of Utah Pioneers - Jordan River Temple Chapter. (Marker Number 12.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Sons of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 40° 36.418′ N, 111° 56.576′ W. Marker is in West Jordan, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is on 1825 West 0.1 miles south of 7800 South (Utah Highway 48), on the right when traveling south. Located in the Veteran’s Memorial Park west of City Hall; northwest of the children's play structure Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Jordan UT 84088, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salt Lake and Utah Railroad (here, next to this marker); West Jordan Pioneer Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); West Jordan (approx. 0.9 miles away); West Jordan Industry (approx. one mile away); West Jordan Settlement (approx. one mile away); North Jordan Canal (approx. one mile away); The Old School House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Welby (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Jordan.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 4,763 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on September 10, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on October 25, 2011, by Glade R. Player of Taylorsville, Utah. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.