Ross Township in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Aluminum Observatory Dome
Erected 1998 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • Education • Exploration • Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
Location. 40° 29.992′ N, 80° 0.769′ W. Marker is in Ross Township, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is at the intersection of McKnight Road (U.S. 19) and West View Avenue, on the right when traveling south on McKnight Road. At interchange of McKnight Road and West Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15229, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of Observatory Hill (approx. ¾ mile away); Riverview United Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Allegheny Observatory (approx. 1.2 miles away); West View Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); In Memory of John (Jack) Brennan (approx. 2 miles away); Mount Assisi (approx. 2 miles away); St. Boniface Roman Catholic Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Twenty-Four Residents (approx. 2.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2010, by Glomar of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,453 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 12, 2010, by Glomar of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on July 11, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.