Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Lighthouse & Informer / John H. McCray
The Lighthouse & Informer, long the leading black newspaper in S.C., was a weekly published here from 1941 to 1954 by journalist and civil rights advocate John Henry McCray (1910-1997). McCray, who founded and paper “so our people can have a voice and some means of getting along together,” published articles covering every aspect of black life and columns and editorials advocating equal rights.
John H. McCray
In 1944, after the S.C. General Assembly repealed laws regulating primaries and the S.C. Democratic Party excluded blacks from voting in them, John H. McCray helped found the Progressive Democratic Party, the first black Democratic party in the South. He was an editor for other leading black newspapers in the 1950s and 1960s, then spent many years as an administrator at his alma mater, Talladega College. McCray died in Alabama in 1987.
Erected 2008 by The Historic Columbia Foundation, the City of Columbia, and the S.C. Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 40-144.)
Topics and series. This historical marker African Americans • Communications. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1941.
Location. 34° 0.614′ N, 81° 1.278′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Harden Street, on the right when traveling south. Located between Taylor and Hampton Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1507 Harden Street, Columbia SC 29204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carver Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Allen University (within shouting distance of this marker); Waverly (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Matilda A. Evans House (about 400 feet away); Columbia Hospital "Negro Unit" / Columbia Hospital "Negro Nurses" (about 700 feet away); Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Calvary Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Visanska-Starks House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . University of South Caroliniana Library Manuscripts Collections ; John H. McCray. ... In 1938 he became editor and (Submitted on September 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,303 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.