Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Junction of 20th and 14th Corps

 
 
Junction of 20th and 14th Corps Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
1. Junction of 20th and 14th Corps Marker
Inscription.  With the right wing of his army in the vicinity of Clinton and Macon, General Sherman, with the left wing, appeared at this point on November 23, 1864. The left wing, consisting of the 20th and 14th corps, was comprised of 30,000 men, 12,000 horses and mules, 1,300 wagons, and several thousand head of cattle. General Slocum, who accompanied the 20th Corps, approached Milledgeville directly from Eatonton. General Sherman, who rode with the 14th Corps, followed the Old Monticello Road. The two Corps united at a junction 300 yards north of this point.
 
Erected 1993 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 005-13.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Sherman’s March to the Sea series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1775.
 
Location. 33° 5.756′ N, 83° 15.984′ W. Marker is near Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of Kinderhook Road (Georgia Route 212) and Glynn
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street (Georgia Route 22), on the right when traveling south on Kinderhook Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flannery O'Connor's Andalusia Farm (approx. 2 miles away); Brown-Stetson-Sanford House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Route of the Twentieth Corps (approx. 2.2 miles away); State College (approx. 2.2 miles away); Old Governor’s Mansion (approx. 2.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Old Governor's Mansion (approx. 2.3 miles away); Jarrett Springs (approx. 2.3 miles away); Lafayette's Tour (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text, erected by the Georgia Historical Commission at this location.
 
Junction of 20th and 14th Corps Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
2. Junction of 20th and 14th Corps Marker
Looking south at the intersection with Georgia Highway 22; Georgia Highway 212 is on the left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,488 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 17, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=35832

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024