Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bethany Lutheran Church
Early settlers in Fredericksburg worshiped together in a community church, the Vereins Kirche. On March 27, 1887, the Rev. John Heinzelmann and about 80 families organized a separate congregation known as Die Evangelische Kirche (The Evangelical church). Early worship services were conducted in the Vereins Kirche and later in the Southern (First) Methodist Church.
By 1889 the members were able to build their own sanctuary at 107 E. Austin Street. A cornerstone-laying ceremony took place on April 14, and the new structure was dedicated on September 15.
In addition to its service in Fredericksburg, the church conducted missionary work in nearby communities. Its name was changed in 1932 to Evangelische Lutherische Bethanien Gemeinde, and in 1954 the congregation officially adopted the English translation, Bethany Evangelical Lutheran church.
English-language services were first introduced in 1931, but German services continued into the 1940s. A new sanctuary was built here in 1954. The 1889 structure was sold to another local church. Throughout its history, Bethany Lutheran Church has maintained
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10011.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 16.611′ N, 98° 52.316′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on East Austin Street west of North Adams Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 East Austin Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Lasting Friendship (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Brodbeck (within shouting distance of this marker); Lasting Friendship (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Valentin Van Der Stucken (within shouting distance of this marker); Gillespie County Country Schools 1846 to 1970's (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vereins Kirche (about 300 feet away); Market Square (Marktplatz) (about 400 feet away); In Memory of Otfrid Hans Freiherr von Meusebach (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Additional keywords. German-Americans
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 764 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.