Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
[Seal of the Texas State Historical Survey Committee]
Church for all denominations, school and community hall.
Built, summer 1847, after the Comanche peace treaty made by John O. Meusebach, Commissioner, German Emigration Company.
Located in Main Street between Courthouse and Market Square of early Fredericksburg. Razed after the celebration of fiftieth anniversary of the arrival of first settlers, 1896.
Replica, first used as museum and library, constructed 1934-35.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Property of the Gillespie County Historical Society.
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
Erected 1967 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10123.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 16.573′ N, 98° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gillespie County Country Schools 1846 to 1970's (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of Otfrid Hans Freiherr von Meusebach (within shouting distance of this marker); Lasting Friendship (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Valentin Van Der Stucken (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Brodbeck (within shouting distance of this marker); A Lasting Friendship (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (Marktplatz) (within shouting distance of this marker); Gillespie County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 851 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 18, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.