Pineville in Bell County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
In the early days, hunting parties penetrated into eastern Kentucky first through the Cumberland Gap and then on through the "Narrows." As both prominent gaps lie within the county, Bell cradled the critical mountain passage and served as the very gateway to the western movement.
Until the advent of the Wilderness Road, the parallel ridges of Pine and Cumberland Mountains lay upon the land like great stone walls that barred explorers and pioneers from traveling west. The eventual discovery of Kentucky's twin gaps (Cumberland Gap and the Narrows) gave rise to a torrent of immigrants on their way to build a nation.
Pine Mountain became Kentucky's first state park in 1924, Regarded as one of the country's
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural Features • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1867.
Location. 36° 45.676′ N, 83° 41.736′ W. Marker is in Pineville, Kentucky, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of Kentucky Avenue and Pine Street (Kentucky Highway 66), on the right when traveling east on Kentucky Avenue. Located in front of the Bell County courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pineville KY 40977, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joshua Fry Bell (here, next to this marker); Cumberland Ford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wallsend Mine (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Camp Site In Kentucky (approx. 1.7 miles away); Henderson Settlement (approx. 1.7 miles away); Watts Furnaces / Iron Made in Kentucky (approx. 9.6 miles away); Middlesboro Meteorite Crater Impact Site (approx. 10.4 miles away); Dirt-and-Log Forts (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pineville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 707 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.