Springfield Township in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Upper Springfield Meeting House and Cemetery
— 1727 —
The Meeting House, situated at the intersection of two Indian Trails, is one of the oldest in Burlington County.
Early Quakers worshipped here and are resting in the Burial Grounds.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism ⛪ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1979.
Location. 40° 2.619′ N, 74° 38.455′ W. Marker is in Springfield Township, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Highland Road and Springfield Meeting House Road, on the left when traveling north on Highland Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Highland Road, Jobstown NJ 08041, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. MacDonald Hall (approx. 2.3 miles away); World War II Monument (approx. 2.4 miles away); 44th Infantry Division (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Ultimate WeaponOn a Tree South of this Spot (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Keeler Oak (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Keeler Oak Tree (approx. 5.4 miles away); Petticoat Bridge Skirmish (approx. 5.4 miles away).
Charles and Arlene Newbold along with Nan Black got the project started. Mr. Newbold was a building trades teacher with the Dept of Corrections at Yardville. His students cut the timbers from the Phillips farm nearby and took them to Bill Croshaw's sawmill . The preliminary construction was done by Mr. Newbold's students. Mr. Newbold has family members dating back to the late 1600's in the Cemetery
— Submitted September 9, 2016, by Charles Thomas Newbold of Caldwell, Idaho.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,380 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?