Near La Marque in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Civil War Fortifications at Virginia Point
A convoy of Union ships began a blockade off Galveston Island on July 2, 1861. Confederate Brig. Gen. Paul O. Hebert, commander of the Military Department of Texas, established the Military District of Galveston in October that year. Under the command of Col. John C. Moore, the district included Galveston Island, Virginia Point, the adjacent coast, and Bolivar Peninsula.
Moore ordered fortifications built at Virginia Point at the head of the railroad bridge. When Federal troops captured Galveston Island, Gen. John B. Magruder, who had succeeded Hebert, ordered Confederate land forces to this strategic point. Moving over the railroad bridge to the island under cover of darkness on December 31, southern forces attacked the Federals just before dawn on New Year's Day 1863 and recaptured Galveston Island. At the end of the war in 1865, Galveston was the larger of only two southern ports
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8233.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 29° 18.247′ N, 94° 54.117′ W. Marker was near La Marque, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker was on Interstate 45 Frontage Road, on the left when traveling south. At the north end of the highway causeway (bridge) to Galveston Island, on the east frontage road. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: La Marque TX 77568, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Campbell's Bayou (here, next to this marker); Galveston "News", C.S.A. (approx. 2.6 miles away); Valentine T. Dalton (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Italian Vault (approx. 4.8 miles away); Propeller of the SS Highflyer (approx. 4.9 miles away); The First Texas City Refinery Texas City Terminal Railway Company (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Texas City Disaster (approx. 4.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Virginia Point article at the Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,693 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 2. submitted on November 29, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 4. submitted on December 20, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.