Jonesville in Lee County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
This town was established in 1794 as the county seat of Lee County and was named for Frederick Jones. Here on January 3, 1864, General William E. Jones, assisted by Colonel A.L. Pridemore, defeated a Union force, capturing the battalion. Union troops burned the courthouse in 1864. The present courthouse was erected in 1933. The town was incorporated in 1834, and reincorporated in 1901.
Erected 1941 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number K-10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1836.
Location. 36° 41.236′ N, 83° 7.071′ W. Marker is in Jonesville, Virginia, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 58) and Martin Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jonesville VA 24263, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Doctor Still’s Birthplace (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jonesville Methodist Camp GroundDoctor Still’s Birthplace (approx. 2.1 miles away); Lee County Virginia / Kentucky (approx. 5.2 miles away); Thompson Settlement Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Civil War Routes (approx. 6˝ miles away in Kentucky); Lee County Virginia / Tennessee (approx. 7 miles away); Pennington Gap (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesville.
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Jonesville. Virginia Center for Civil War Studies website entry (Submitted on May 17, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. Jonesville, Virginia. Wikipedia article. (Submitted on September 23, 2010, by Jeff Conner of Norfolk, Virginia.)
3. Town of Jonesville. Official government website of the town of Jonesville. (Submitted on September 23, 2010, by Jeff Conner of Norfolk, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 21, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,011 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 21, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.