Speers Ferry in Scott County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Natural Tunnel: Railroading and Recreation
Natural Tunnel became a tourist attraction in 1899 when excursion trains began running through it. Dances were often
The chairlift at Natural Tunnel State Park allows visitors to ride to the tunnel. The Park also offers hiking, camping, swimming, picnicking, caving, and canoeing, and has a visitor center, a meeting center, an outdoor entertainment amphitheater, and a replica of the Wilderness Road Blockhouse. However the tunnel and its coal trains remain the primary draw of the Park.
Erected by Virginia Department of Conservation & Recreation and Scott County Virginia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural Features • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 36° 39.272′ N, 82° 44.81′ W. Marker is in Speers Ferry, Virginia, in Scott County. Marker is on Orby Cantrell Highway (U.S. 58), on the right when traveling north. Located at a pull off providing a view of the Clinch River and railroad bridges. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Duffield VA 24244, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Copper Creek Railroad Trestles (here, next to this marker); The Wilderness Road Crossing of the Clinch River (here, next to this marker); Speers Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); Carter’s Fort (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Natural Tunnel Route (approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named Carter’s Fort (approx. 4.6 miles away); Scott County / Lee County (approx. 8.1 miles away); First Settlers (approx. 9.1 miles away in Tennessee). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Speers Ferry.
Also see . . . Natural Tunnel State Park. (Submitted on September 23, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 824 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.