Fort Scott in Bourbon County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Where Was the Bathroom?
"Bathing is promotive both of comfort and health; and where convenience for it are to be had, the men should be made to bathe at least once a week. The feet are to be washed at least twice a week."
1841 Army Regulations
This foundation, discovered by archeologists in 1971, is all that remains of one of Fort Scott's latrines. A washhouse, used for bathing, was attached to the left.
This latrine and washhouse served enlisted men living in the infantry barracks in front of you, which typically housed about 50 men. Officer would not have used this latrine. As one of the many privileges of rank, officers and their families enjoyed the privacy of latrines in their back yards.
In 1852 Post Surgeon Joseph Barnes praised the planning of Fort Scott's latrines and washhouses, stating that, "the necessary out-houses, are furnished with good drainage, preventing all accumulations of water and filth."
Erected 1998 by National Park Service.
Location. 37° 50.599′ N, 94° 42.217′ W. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Scott KS 66701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quartermaster Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Crack Post of the Frontier" (within shouting distance of this marker); Infantry Life (within shouting distance of this marker); Free to Learn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Heart of Fort Scott (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tallgrass Prairie Trail (about 400 feet away); Back Yards (about 400 feet away); Fort Gardens (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Scott.
Also see . . . Fort Scott National Historic Site. (Submitted on September 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Man-Made Features
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.