Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Horsehead in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Immanuel Church

Horsehead, Maryland

— 1879 Centennial 1979 (Built 1879 - Burned, Rebuilt 1896) —

 
 
Immanuel Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, December 2, 2004
1. Immanuel Church Marker
Inscription.  Located on early colonial survey line - "The Golden Race" - patented to Thomas Greenfield by Lord Baltimore in 1695. One of the earliest Methodist congregations in America. Formerly Smith's Meeting House 1794-1839 and Emory Chapel 1840-1879. Part of Prince George's circuit. Bishop Francis Asbury preached at the meeting house in March 1813.
 
Erected 1979 by Prince George's County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1813.
 
Location. 38° 39.07′ N, 76° 46.302′ W. Marker is in Horsehead, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Aquasco Road (Maryland Route 381) 0.1 miles north of Horsehead Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brandywine MD 20613, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Home of Dr. Samuel Mudd (approx. 4 miles away); Dr. Samuel A. Mudd (approx. 4 miles away); John Wilkes Booth (approx. 4 miles away); Dr. Samuel A. Mudd House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Up in Flames (approx. 4.3 miles away); Woodville School (approx. 4.7 miles away); Town Ravaged (approx. 4.8 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,129 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on November 18, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3629

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024