West Point in Troup County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
"Daughters of the Confederacy"
the term "Daughters of the Confederacy"
was used here on April 30, 1886,
by General John B. Gordon,
to introduce Winnie Davis.
The title became the name
present patriotic organization.
Erected 1937 by Georgia Division United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1918.
Location. 32° 52.6′ N, 85° 10.9′ W. Marker is in West Point, Georgia, in Troup County. Marker is on West 8th Street, 0 miles 2nd Avenue (U.S. 29), on the left when traveling east. The plaque is in front of the Hawkes Children's Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West 8th Street, West Point GA 31833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of West Point (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Tyler (approx. 0.4 miles away); More Enduring Than Marble Fort Tyler (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Tyler Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Gen. Robert C. Tyler, C.S.A. (approx. half a mile away); Tenth Street School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bluffton-Lanett, Alabama (approx. 0.8 miles away in Alabama). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Point.
Also see . . . United Daughters of the Confederacy. (Submitted on October 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,086 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.