Gloucester in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Coast Guard Aviation Monument
In May of 1925 On
Ten Pound Island in Gloucester Harbor
Home of the First Continuously Operating Coast Guard Air Station
Growth in Operations and Aircraft Size Forced a Move
To Salem Massachussetts in 1935 and again to Cape Cod in 1970
go down to the
sea in ships,"
shall not perish.
Location. 42° 36.608′ N, 70° 40.16′ W. Marker is in Gloucester, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Western Avenue (Massachusetts Route 127) and Middle Street, on the right when traveling north on Western Avenue. Located in Stacy Boulevard Waterfront Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gloucester MA 01930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ten Pound Island Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Gloucester Fishermen's Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Gloucester Korean – Vietnam Veterans Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stacy Esplanade Blynman Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Salting Fish (approx. ¼ mile away); Gloucester Fishermen's Wives Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cape Ann Granite (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gloucester.
Also see . . . A History of Coast Guard Aviation. (Submitted on October 3, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Air & Space • Waterways & Vessels
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 836 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.