Near Shiprock in San Juan County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Four Corners A Common Bond
The four corners monument was established and perpetuated by U.S. Government Surveyors and Astronomers beginning in 1868. Surveyors Darling, Robbins, Reeves and Carpenter surveyed the boundary lines between the states.
In 1899, U.S. Surveyors Hubert Page and James Lentz found the four corners monument disturbed and broken. They marked and set a new stone at the original location. Everett Kimmell, General Land Office, remonumented the Page – Lentz stone with a concrete and brass monument in 1931. The Bureau of Land Management and the Bureau of Indian Affairs poured a concrete paving block around the Kimmell monument in 1962. In 1992, Cadastral Surveyors Darryl Wilson and Jack Eaves officially remonumented the deteriorating Kimmell marker with an aluminum bronze disc. The structure that you see today was rebuilt by the Bureau of Land Management.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 36° 59.934′ N, 109° 2.708′ W. Marker is near Shiprock, New Mexico, in San Juan County. Marker can be reached from State Road 597 at milepost 0.4,, half a mile west of U.S. 160. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shiprock NM 87420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Mexico (here, next to this marker); Arizona (a few steps from this marker in Arizona); Colorado (within shouting distance of this marker in Colorado); Utah (within shouting distance of this marker in Utah); Welcome to Four Corners Monument! (approx. Ό mile away); Beclabito Dome (approx. 11.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Why the Four Corners Monument is in Exactly the Right Place. (Submitted on October 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,561 times since then and 81 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week October 17, 2010. Photos: 1. submitted on October 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 2. submitted on April 30, 2011, by Volker Schmidt of Albstadt, Germany. 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 6. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.