Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Red Rock in McKinley County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Fort Wingate

 
 
Fort Wingate Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2010
1. Fort Wingate Marker
Inscription.  The first Fort Wingate was established near San Rafael in 1862, to serve as the base of Col. Kit Carson's campaigns against the Navajos. In 1868 the garrison was transferred to the second Fort Wingate near Gallup. In that same year, the Navajos returned here after their imprisonment at Fort Sumner.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
 
Location. 35° 28.216′ N, 108° 32.56′ W. Marker is in Red Rock, New Mexico, in McKinley County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 400 at milepost 3 and Main Street, on the left when traveling south on State Road 400. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Wingate NM 87316, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chaco Cliffs (approx. 5½ miles away); Gallup (approx. 8½ miles away); Zuni (approx. 11.8 miles away); Navajo Code Talkers (approx. 11.9 miles away); CN Cotton Warehouse (approx. 11.9 miles away); Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial
Rear of Fort Wingate Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2010
2. Rear of Fort Wingate Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 11.9 miles away); Kitchen's Opera House (approx. 11.9 miles away); Historic Buildings (approx. 11.9 miles away).
 
Fort Wingate Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2010
3. Fort Wingate Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,085 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos and/or submission of Wingate Veterans Park located behind marker. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=36538

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 26, 2022