Evanston in Uinta County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Wyoming State Hospital
The first building, completed in 1887, contained male and female wards, offices and staff living quarters. It burned in 1917. The remaining buildings at the north end of the grounds – all of red brick and of similar architectural styles – were constructed between 1910 and 1932. These buildings are linked by underground tunnels used to transport patients and meals during Wyoming's cold winters. Tree-studded lawns, created in the late 1910s, were intended to produce a serene landscape for patients. The legislature stipulated that the hospital grounds consist of at least 100 acres so the land could be farmed to produce income to offset expenses. The hospital maintained a large farming operation at the southern end of the campus. Patients and staff raised cattle, sheep, chickens, and hay and vegetable gardens. The farm produced food for the kitchen
In the 1950s and 1960s, new drugs and community - based treatment for the mentally ill greatly reduced the hospital's patient population. By the beginning of the 21st century, the older buildings were abandoned and operations moved to a new facility at the south end of the campus. Today, the peaceful atmosphere of the older campus belies the human suffering that took place here. A poignant reminder of the stigma attached to mental illness is the hospital cemetery that lies across the interstate highway. There, dozens of unmarked graves attest to the lives of those shunned by society and abandoned by their families.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine.
Location. 41° 15.853′ N, 110° 57.012′ W. Marker is in Evanston, Wyoming, in Uinta County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 150. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 831 Wyoming 150 South, Evanston WY 82930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Highway — Sunset Cabins (approx. half a mile away); Evanston (approx. half a mile away); First Brick Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Uinta County Courthouse (approx. 0.8 miles away); Evanston Downtown Historic District Uinta County Library (Carnegie Library) 1906 (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Path Well-Traveled (approx. 0.9 miles away); Wyoming's Sagebrush Sea (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Evanston.
More about this marker. The marker is on the northwest side of the main administration building on the hospital grounds. Access to hospital grounds is off of Wyoming Highway 150 just east of the Exit 5 interchange for Interstate 80. Once on the grounds, take the first left (Agate) and proceed past the west end of the main administration building. Turn right and the marker is just ahead of you at the edge of the lawn.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. This page has been viewed 1,221 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. 6. submitted on October 11, 2010. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.