Fort Washington in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
(descendants of Edward Digges,
governor of Virginia, 1652–1668)
The most intimate friend of
George and Martha Washington
in Prince George’s County,
where they visited many times.
spent his forty-third birthday here.
Now site of Fort Washington
designed by L’Enfant, 1814.
Erected 1932 by George Washington Bicentennial.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts or Castles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the George Washington Slept Here series list.
Location. 38° 42.838′ N, 77° 1.736′ W. Marker is in Fort Washington, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Fort Washington Road 0.8 miles west of Old Fort Road, in the median. Marker is within Fort Washington Park, in the wide median of the drive through the park to the visitors center. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Washington Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battery Decatur and Disappearing Guns (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capital Guardian (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Capital Guardian (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Capital Guardian (approx. ¼ mile away); Main Gateway (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Northwest Demi-Bastion (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Mortar Battery (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Washington.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,975 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 18, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.