Mount Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Now called Patriots Point, Hog Island played a crucial role in the defense of the Charleston Harbor. In 1775, Patriot forces were sinking old ships in the deep Hog Island Channel to block British access to the Wando and Cooper Rivers. They were fired upon by British ships in the first naval battle of the Revolutionary War in SC. This hostile act served to promote the Patriot cause.
During the Civil War, mines were placed in the Hog Island Channel by the Confederates as a defense against Union ships. A Confederate gun battery on the tip of Hog Island also protected the channel. The island was gradually connected to the mainland by dredge spoil. The area was annexed by Mount Pleasant in 1975 and was later developed and renamed Patriots Point .
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1775.
Location. 32° 47.252′ N, 79° 54.06′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Patriots Point Road, on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Talos Missile (approx. 0.3 miles away); Helicopter Attack Squadron (Light) Three Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Patriots Point Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); U.S.S. Laffey (approx. 0.4 miles away); USS Clamagore (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memoriam USS Thresher and USS Scorpion (approx. 0.4 miles away); World War II Submarine Lost Boat Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clamagore (SS-343) (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2010. This page has been viewed 1,070 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2010. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.