“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Zoarville in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Zoarville Station

Fink Through Truss Bridge

Zoarville Station Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Tschantz, circa 2007
1. Zoarville Station Bridge Marker
Inscription.  The Zoarville Station Bridge is a rare survivor of the earliest period of iron bridge construction in the United States, an era when unprecedented railroad expansion gave American bridge builders an international reputation for innovation. German immigrant Albert Fink first developed this truss design for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in the early 1850s. Charles Shaler Smith, a prominent civil engineer and Fink's former assistant, designed the bridge with patented features that improved on Fink's original design. His firm, Smith, Latrobe & Company of Baltimore, Maryland, built this example in 1868 as a highway bridge over the Tuscarawas River in Dover. it was moved to this site in 1905 and abandoned in 1940. The Lebold family donated the bridge to the Camp Tuscazoar Foundation in 1997 for preservation and resoration. Of the hundreds of Fink Truss bridges built in the 1800s, the Zoarville Station Bridge is the last of its kind known to exist.
Erected 2000 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Longaberger Company, the Camp Tuscazoar Foundation, and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-79.)
Zoarville Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 15, 2015
2. Zoarville Station Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online

Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsIndustry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 40° 34.765′ N, 81° 23.574′ W. Marker is in Zoarville, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker is on Ohio Route 800 near Ohio Route 212, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mineral City OH 44656, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dover Dam (approx. 1.8 miles away); Trailhead (approx. 2.6 miles away); Ohio and Erie Canal (approx. 2.6 miles away); Welcome To Zoar (approx. 2.7 miles away); Zoar Town Hall / Zoar and The Ohio & Erie Canal (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Cow Barn Foundation (approx. 2.8 miles away); Zoar Village (approx. 2.8 miles away); Zoar Garden (approx. 2.8 miles away).
Regarding Zoarville Station. The bridge itself is approximately 1/4 mile southeast of the marker.
Also see . . .
1. Zoarville Station Bridge. The Historical American Buildings Survey record for the bridge.
Zoarville Station Bridge - View Across Deck image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Elliot, 1992
3. Zoarville Station Bridge - View Across Deck
This image, courtesy of the Historical American Building Survey, shows the bridge as it appeared several years prior to its restoration.
Significance: The Zoarville Station Bridge is the only Fink through truss known to exist in the United States. Originally part of a three span bridge, it was constructed by the firm of Smith, Latrobe, and Company of Baltimore, Maryland, one of the most important bridge building companies in the United States during the late 19th century.
(Submitted on October 17, 2010.) 

2. Zoarville Station Bridge. The Camp Tuscazoar Website offers information on the bridge, its restoration, placement on the National Register of Historic Places and additional photos. (Submitted on October 29, 2010.) 
Zoarville Station Bridge After Restoration image. Click for full size.
By David Tschantz, September 2007
4. Zoarville Station Bridge After Restoration
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2010, by David Tschantz of Smithville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 737 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on October 9, 2010, by David Tschantz of Smithville, Ohio.   2. submitted on March 16, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on October 17, 2010.   4. submitted on October 20, 2010, by David Tschantz of Smithville, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 26, 2022