Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Creek in Mineral County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Claysville United Methodist Church

 
 
Claysville United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chris Nelson, September 19, 2010
1. Claysville United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Congregation was organized in 1849. The church, constructed in 1850 of lumber produced on a water-powered sawmill and furnished with seats of chestnut, hand finished, is in an excellent state of preservation. It was first used as a combined church, school and community building. During the Civil War both Union and Confederate troops held services here, the time depending on who temporarily controlled the valley.
 
Erected 1974 by West Virginia Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 39° 20.547′ N, 79° 4.03′ W. Marker is in New Creek, West Virginia, in Mineral County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 50 and West Virginia Route 93, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 50. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Creek WV 26743, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. John Green (approx. 2.7
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
miles away); Nancy Hanks (approx. 3.6 miles away); Vandiver - Trout - Clause House (approx. 4 miles away); Mineral County / Grant County (approx. 6.7 miles away); Mineral County / State of Maryland (approx. 6.8 miles away); Keyser / Averell’s Raid (approx. 7˝ miles away); Fort Fuller (approx. 8 miles away); Potomac State College (approx. 8 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 768 times since then and 11 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=36836

Paid Advertisement
May. 15, 2021