Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fredericksburg in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Union Lifeline

The Battle of Chancellorsville

 

— Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park —

 
Union Lifeline Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, November 10, 2007
1. Union Lifeline Marker
Inscription.  
On April 30, 1863, Gen. George G. Meade's Union Fifth Corps advanced along this road toward Chancellorsville. As Meade's troops approached, Confederates on the Bullock Farm briefly resisted them, then disappeared into the woods to spread word of the Union advance. For the next three days the armies would grapple beyond the Chancellorsville crossroads, one mile to your right.

Throughout the battle fresh troops arrived along this road, until more than 90,000 Federals crowded the battlefield. On May 3, after perhaps the most intense morning of fighting in American history, the Federals spilled back along this road and through the adjacent woods. A portion of General Joseph Hooker's final line is visible across the road.
 
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1864.
 
Location. 38° 19.029′ N, 77° 38.24′ W. Marker is near Fredericksburg, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is at the intersection of Elys Ford Road
The Operational Map image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, November 10, 2007
2. The Operational Map
Click or scan to see
this page online
(County Route 610) and Bullock Road, on the right when traveling south on Elys Ford Road. Located at the Bullock House Site, stop two of the driving tour of Chancellorsville Battlefield. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9024 Elys Ford Rd, Fredericksburg VA 22407, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hooker's Final Bastion (here, next to this marker); Lives Transformed (within shouting distance of this marker); Apex of Hooker’s Last Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Chancellorsville Campaign (approx. 0.3 miles away); Union Line Contained Along Mineral Springs Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stone's Reconnaissance (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Counterattack (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Midnight Conference (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
More about this marker. The right side of the marker displays "Union cavalry splashes across the Rapidan River at Ely's Ford." An inset of the upper right shows "Ely's Ford, about 1900." The lower left has an operational map showing "In the opening stages of the campaign, Union columns crossed the Rapidan and Rappahannock Rivers at three points and converged on Chancellorsville, compelling Confederate troops there to fall back to Zoan Church."
 
Regarding Union Lifeline. This is one of several markers for the Battle of Chancellorsville at the Bullock House Site, at the apex of Hooker's final line. See the Bullock House Site Virtual Tour by Markers in the links section for a listing of related markers on the tour.
 
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Chancellorsville. National Park Service site. (Submitted on November 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Bullock House Site Virtual Tour by Markers. The Bullock House Site
Two Markers beside Ely's Ford Road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, November 10, 2007
3. Two Markers beside Ely's Ford Road
Across the road, in the background, are remains of Federal earthworks used in Hooker's final line.
portion of the battlefield (stop two on the driving tour of the battlefield) includes markers at the intersection of Bullock and Ely's Ford Roads. The position marked the apex of Hooker's final line. (Submitted on December 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Federal Defensive Line image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, November 10, 2007
4. Federal Defensive Line
About a half mile to the southeast are remains of Federal lines used on 1-3 May, indicated by the black and white metal sign. Couch's II Corps held these positions, which were abandoned when the withdrawal from Fairview opened up the Federal right flank.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,022 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3690

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 16, 2022