Near Plainsboro in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built by Josiah Davison between 1737, when he bought the land from his brother. Dr. Daniel Brinton Davison, and 1749, when he sold it to Jacob Scudder of Long Island for 1,400 pounds.
He bequeathed the thriving mill to his son, Colonel William Scudder of the American Army. In December 1776 the British, housed nearby, destroyed the mill during the American Revolution.
Benjamin Gray and his wife, Jane, bought it at public auction on February 28, 1885, rebuilt the mill known as Grays Mills.
As people became less dependent on the mill, it was left to deteriorate.
Erected by Plainsboro Township, The Plainsboro Historical Society, the U. S. Department of Housing & Urban Development, the D & R Canal Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Colonial Era Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is February 28, 1885.
Location. 40° 20.565′ N, 74° 37.787′ W. Marker is near Plainsboro, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Mapleton Road, 0.3 miles U.S. 1, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located on a driveway leading to an unpaved parking lot next to the D&R Canal Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plainsboro NJ 08536, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Canal Dug By Irishmen (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Burial site of "Elsie" (approx. 1.2 miles away); You'll Do Lobelia (approx. 1.2 miles away); Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown (approx. 1½ miles away); John Witherspoon (approx. 1½ miles away); Bainbridge House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Joseph Henry House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Princeton University (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainsboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,061 times since then and 212 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 13, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.