Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Dodds Corner

 
 
Dodds Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
1. Dodds Corner Marker
Inscription.  
Serving Lewes with a general store and its harbor as ship chandlers, the Dodd family occupied this site from the latter part of the 18th Century until it was acquired in 1929 by Benjamin Ableman of Georgetown from one Joseph Frank Dodd, the last remaining member of the family.

Benjamin's sons, Percival J. and S. Bernard Ableman, restored the building in 1985, carefully preserving the original architecture. At the end of the 19th Century a member of the Dodd family practiced medicine here, and a section of concrete walk inscribed "Dr. Dodd" remains at the old Northeast corner entrance.

Upon completion of the restoration, the Ablemans renamed the property "Dodds Corner," the description that appears in the early deeds.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
 
Location. 38° 46.532′ N, 75° 8.394′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on 2nd street, on the right when traveling north. Located between Banks Street and
Dodds Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, February 3, 2013
2. Dodds Corner Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The New Devon Inn (a few steps from this marker); Last Lewes Pilot Skiff (within shouting distance of this marker); The Explorations of Giovanni da Verrazzano (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewes (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cannonball House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Cannonball House (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Court House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
 
Dodds Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
3. Dodds Corner Marker
Dodds Corner Marker, seen along 2nd Street, heading north image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
4. Dodds Corner Marker, seen along 2nd Street, heading north
Dodds Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, February 3, 2013
5. Dodds Corner Marker
Octor image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, February 3, 2013
6. Octor
Fragment of "Doctor Dodd" stone embedded in the steps on the northeast corner of Dodd's Corner.
Dodds Corner image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, February 3, 2013
7. Dodds Corner
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 848 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 20, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2. submitted on February 5, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   3, 4. submitted on October 20, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   5, 6, 7. submitted on February 5, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=37099

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 29, 2022