New Windsor in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic New Windsor
Nearby stood the Thomas Ellison house, used as headquarters by General George Washington at various times during the years of 1779-1781.
Also quartered here was Alexander Hamilton and here was planned the attack on Stony Point with Gen. Anthony Wayne.
To the south is the location of the first colonial settlement in Orange County in the year 1683.
Just to the north was located the village of New Windsor with docks of commercial & military importance.
The house & farm of Gen. George Clinton was located further north.
He was to become the first governor of New York State and later a Vice-President of the United States.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era.
Location. 41° 28.378′ N, 74° 0.918′ W. Marker is in New Windsor, New York, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of River Road and County Road 69, on the right when traveling north on River Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Windsor NY 12553, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Headquarters Site (here, next to this marker); Glass Works Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Forge Hill Road (approx. 1.2 miles away); Camps of 1782-83 (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Forge (approx. 1.6 miles away); Brewster Forge Site (approx. 1.6 miles away); Washington’s Headquarters (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Windsor.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 541 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.