Valhermoso Springs in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
"Vale of Beauty"
Jean Joseph Giers acquired the hotel and surrounding property in 1856, renaming it "Valhermoso Springs." Into the 20th century, travelers from all over the world came to the hotel and springs seeking relief from rheumatism, insomnia, consumption, and ailments of the skin, kidneys, stomach, and liver. The hotel closed in the 1920s and was destroyed by tornado in 1950.
Erected 2000 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 30.4′ N, 86° 40.617′ W. Marker is in Valhermoso Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valhermoso Springs AL 35775, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lacey's Spring (approx. 5.4 miles away); Triana, Alabama (approx. 6.2 miles away); Somerville, Alabama (approx. 7.3 miles away); First Permanent Court House, Morgan County (approx. 7.3 miles away); Site of Ditto's Landing and Town of Whitesburg (approx. 8.1 miles away); The Boeing-Vertol A/ACH47A Helicopter Gunship (approx. 9.1 miles away); Mt. Zion Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 10 miles away); Formation of the George C. Marshall Space Flight Center (approx. 13.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 5,066 times since then and 430 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 24, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.