Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Upper Marlboro in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Thomas John Claggett, D.D.

 
 
Thomas John Claggett, D.D. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, December 2, 2004
1. Thomas John Claggett, D.D. Marker
Inscription.  
Ordained by Lord Bishop of London 1768.
First Bishop consecrated in the United States, at Trinity Church, New York City by Bishop Seabury of Connecticut.
He organized this (Trinity) church 1810.
Born near Nottingham, October 3, 1743
Died at "Croom" August 3, 1816.

 
Erected by State Roads Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. A significant historical date for this entry is October 3, 1855.
 
Location. 38° 48.893′ N, 76° 45.175′ W. Marker is in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Church Street, 0.1 miles west of Water Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14518 Church Street, Upper Marlboro MD 20772, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. British Disgrace (a few steps from this marker); Baltimore-Southern Maryland Trunk Line (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marlborough (about 500 feet away); The Site of the Residence of Dr. William Beanes
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of John Carroll (approx. 0.2 miles away); Archbishop John Carroll (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marlboro Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Protests at the County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Marlboro.
 
Also see . . .  Trinity Church History. “It was not until July 16, 1812, that Bishop Claggett officially consecrated Trinity Church. It was a time of great upheaval. Margin reference notes in the vestry minutes of May, 1814, indicate that British troops camped in the church, tore out pages from the minutes book and prevented the vestry from meeting. Bishop Claggett served as rector until his death August 3, 1816.” (Submitted on February 20, 2012, by Raymond C. Wockley of Upper Marlboro, Maryland.) 
 
Trinity Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, December 2, 2004
2. Trinity Church
Thomas John Claggett, D.D. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, July 9, 2011
3. Thomas John Claggett, D.D.
Felix de Weldon sculpture at St. Thomas Church, Croom.
Trinity Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, May 25, 2014
4. Trinity Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,345 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 20, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   3, 4. submitted on June 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3724

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024