Near Stoughton in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
They built their church and platted a cemetery in 1864 in Pleasant Springs Township on land purchased from Lars Bovre. Membership increased to about 50, including T.G. Mandt (Mandt Wagon Works, Stoughton) and the parents of John A. Johnson (Gisholt Machine Co., Madison). In 1887, because of declining membership, Bovre Congregation merged with First Lutheran Church in Stoughton.
Erected 1988 by the Dane County Historical Society and the Koshkonong Prairie Historical Society. (Marker Number 25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1932.
Location. 42° 57.769′ N, 89° 10.833′ W. Marker is near Stoughton, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway B and Spring Road, on the right when traveling east on County Highway B. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stoughton WI 53589, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert Marion La Follette, Sr. (approx. 2.1 miles away); West Koshkonong Lutheran Congregation (approx. 2.3 miles away); East Park Historic District (approx. 3˝ miles away); Main Street Historic District (approx. 3.7 miles away); Stoughton (approx. 3.9 miles away); Seasons of Fish Camp (approx. 4.4 miles away); Carp for sale (approx. 4.4 miles away); Too many carp (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stoughton.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. These are markers that mention John A. Johnson.
Also see . . .
1. John A. Johnson. This is a page for a marker about one (Submitted on October 28, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
2. Stoughton. This marker also mentions the Mandt wagon company. (Submitted on October 28, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
3. First Lutheran Church. A historical timeline for this successor to the Bovre Congregation, including a link to a video history. (Submitted on October 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
4. Koshkonong. This marker also discusses the split in the Norwegian Lutheran Church, and mentions the West Koshkonong Church. (Submitted on November 3, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 770 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on October 28, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.