Pamplico in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Located about 1/2 mile east, this bluff, part of a Royal landgrant to Edward Crofts in 1740, was named for the DeWitt family, who settled nearby prior to 1767. This area of Prince Frederick Parish was known as Queensborough Township, one of 11 such townships planned by the British Crown in 1730 to foster settlement and protect the interior of the province.
The bluff named for the DeWitt family who settled in this area before 1767 is located about 1/2 mile east of here. By 1840, an adjacent landing for steamboats plying the Pee Dee River was named for the bluff. Members of the DeWitt family served in the Revolution and in the War Between the States; the family still owns land in this area.
Erected 1987 by Florence County Historical Society. (Marker Number 21-7.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era.
Location. 33° 59.419′ N, 79° 31.53′ W. Marker is in Pamplico, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pamplico SC 29583, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burch's Mill: South Carolina’s First Civil War Nears It’s End (approx. 5.1 miles away); Hannah (approx. 8 miles away); Marion at Port’s Ferry / Asbury at Port’s Ferry (approx. 10.1 miles away); Hopewell Presbyterian Church (approx. 11.1 miles away); William W. Harllee (approx. 11.1 miles away); Witherspoon’s Ferry: Francis Marion Takes Command (approx. 11.4 miles away); Witherspoon’s Ferry / Johnsonville (approx. 11˝ miles away); Browntown (approx. 12.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,133 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.