Royston in Franklin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dr. Stewart D. Brown, Sr.
Dr. Brown (1881-1952), Royston native, after years of the best training, returned home to practice surgery, bringing modern techniques and ingenious methods. He served his townspeople unfailingly for 40 years, performing 35,000 operations. With no hospital facilities, he pioneered, traveling from house to house, accompanied by his trained help, for 14 years. His territory stretched to seventy-five miles or more. He then opened a small hospital of his own, soon outgrown. Also active in educational and civic affairs, he rendered a lasting service to his home town.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 059-2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 34° 17.226′ N, 83° 6.752′ W. Marker is in Royston, Georgia, in Franklin County. Marker is on Franklin Springs Street (U.S. 29) 0 miles east of Ty Cobb StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 132 Franklin Springs Street, Royston GA 30662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Royston, GA / U.S. Bicentennial Monument (approx. half a mile away); Tyrus Raymond Cobb (approx. half a mile away); Ty Cobb (approx. half a mile away); Original Site and Portions (approx. 1.9 miles away); Historical Franklin Springs (approx. 2 miles away); The Franklin Springs (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Historical Franklin Springs (approx. 2 miles away); Redwine Church (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Royston.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 723 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.